NYS Region: Finger Lakes
Distance: NYC: 4.75hrs - Hartford: 5.5hrs - Philly: 4.5hrs - Boston: 4.75hrs
Famous for: Harriet Tubman, MacKenzie-Childs, Wine and Theatre
Not to miss: Historic sites, world-class fishing and wine.
Perfect for: Couples, Families, Outdoors Lovers
- Publish Date: May 08, 2017
#HarrietTubman #MacKenzieChilds #Lakes #Theatre
Why It's Famous
This area’s history was written by great minds and creative thinkers. And today the same spirit lives on with a cool and casual pace of life.
- With 8 lakes and 12 miles on the Erie Canal, Cayuga County has more freshwater coastline than any other county in New York State.
- Auburn is known as “History’s Hometown.” Visit the Harriet Tubman National Historical Park, or Seward House Museum, and so much more.
- Visit 11 wineries, 4 breweries and a cidery—some can be reached by boat on the “water to wine tour.”
- The historic village of Aurora is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- The 87-mile Cayuga Lake Scenic Byway was voted one of “10 Great All-American Road Trips” by Yahoo Travel.
Cayuga County is home to top-notch entertainment and theatre.Enjoy Cayuga Lake and a glass of the regions world-class wine.
The NY Sherpa Recommends
Known as the ‘Moses of her People’, Tubman was a leading abolitionist in her time, bringing many, many people to safety, settlling in Auburn after the Civil War. Look for Harriet on the $20 bill in 2020!
Set on a picturesque farm overlooking Cayuga Lake, visitors can tour the restored Victorian Farmhouse, watch the production process at the Visitor Center and browse through the retail shop full of the famous MacKenzie-Childs hand-decorated ceramic tableware and home furnishings.
Voted one of the 10 best food trails by USA Today, featuring locally grown or produced sweet treats including jams, syrups, honey, u-picks, ice cream, baked goods and more.
Known as “Broadway in the Finger Lakes,” the Playhouse is upstate New York’s most popular professional theater performing favorite Broadway musicals from June – October.
America’s first wine trail. Visit Treleaven by King Ferry Winery and Long Point Winery on the east side of Cayuga Lake for an up close and personal wine tasting experience.
The Inns of Aurora offer four distinctive properties, each with its own character, sumptuously appointed with handsome antiques and complemented by original art. The Aurora Inn dining room features farm-to-table dining and lakefront views.
State Route 90 from Montezuma to Homer featuring hundreds of sales, antiques, collectibles and BBQs. Always held the last full weekend in July.
Fishing is a must in Cayuga County. Explore the 12-mile coastline and experience world-class fishing, so good it’s hosted the Bassmasters Elite tournament twice.
Fishing: National and World-Class