NYS Region: Finger Lakes
Distance: NYC: 4hrs - Hartford: 4.75hrs - Philly: 4.25hrs - Boston: 6hrs
Famous for: Family Fun, Museums, Wine and Glass
Not to miss: Corning Museum of Glass, the area's wine experience and Gaffer District dining.
Perfect for: Couples, Families, Wine Lovers
- Publish Date: May 11, 2017
#Family #Wine #Museums #Glass
Why It's Famous
Situated in the western half of the state, Corning offers world-class attractions that are not-to-miss and is the perfect starting point to explore the rest of the beautiful Finger Lakes region.
- Visit Dr. Frank’s Vinifera Wine Cellars—New York’s Most award-winning Winery since 1962.
- For kids, adults and art lovers, Corning Museum of Glass has something for everyone.
- Traveling across the state? Spend a day or stay overnight in the Corning area—the perfect stopping point.
- Visit shops, glass artisans and restaurants in the classic red-brick downtown of the Gaffer District.
- An awesome spot for fishing, boating, canoeing and cycling, visit Keuka Lake.
- Every Thursday, June through October, go to Corning’s Farmers Market.
This entire museum is devoted to the history and craft of glass. You’ll always remember the hot glass show where artistry happens right in front of you. There is also a cafe, so you can stay the whole day and finish in the gift shop with 200 emerging and established artists.
You and your family can do almost everything with glass here - from hot glass working, to flameworking, to fusing, to sandblasting (with the help of experienced glassworkers). There are 20 and 40-minute projects to select from and something for every age group.
It was chosen as the “Coolest Small Town in America” by readers of Budget Travel Magazine! Find out why it’s called the Cradle of Aviation at the Glenn H. Curtiss Museum or go for a swim and chill out at the public beaches on Keuka Lake.
Pleasant Valley Wine Company has an awesome tour, Dr. Konstantin Frank Wine Cellars has an awesome story, and Bully Hill Vineyards has an awesome restaurant. They all have awesome wine. Experience them and plenty more in the area and hundreds in the region.
With new exhibits constantly on display, this museum features Native American art, as well as art that tells the history of this country and what it means to be an American.
Whether you want a tent, cabin, RV, cottage or lodge, this Finger Lakes camping resort has it. There are many activities to keep the family entertained and a spa to keep the adults relaxed and rejuvenated.
The NY Sherpa Recommends: